Tuesday, February 15, 2011

There's Gotta Be Something Else On

I'm tired of people making events out of silly television shows, especially shows that aren't good.  Here is my list of the top five most overrated shows on television that people (for some reason) go ga-ga over.

5. "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (FX)

Maybe I didn't give it a full chance.  Maybe it was over hyped.  I tried it, didn't think it was that funny.  Quirky humor only works for me when it is well written. (see "Arrested Development")

4. "Sons of Anarchy" (FX)


What if the "Sopranos" had a one-night-stand with "American Chopper"...and they had a baby...which they dropped on its head...and shook...and fed lead paint chips to.  Then you would get "Sons of Anarchy." 


3. "How I Met Your Mother" (CBS)
Doogie Howser + The band camp girl from "American Pie" + a laugh track = a hit???  Only on CBS I guess. (Don't get me started on the "CSI" franchise)

2. "Glee" (FOX)


Where do I start.  The producers are genius, because they can hide the fact that each episode is plot deficient by having these annoying kids sing pop songs every five minutes.  Its just an attempt to be an edgy version of Disney's "High School Musical."

Drum roll please.....
1.) "Jersey Shore" (MTV)

What can I say that hasn't already been said?  Watching "Jersey Shore" is like eating just the skin from KFC's extra crispy chicken, nothing good can come from it.  I have never watched an episode, but I'm pretty sure I can tell you the plot to 99.9% of the episodes.  Wake up, set up conflict, get ready to go out, go out, get drunk, dance, get more drunk, meet some girls that REALLY want to be on television (by any means necessary)...I think you get it.  Throw in some verbal spats, physical conflicts, sex, hair product and some corny catch phrases that will sadly catch on, and we have the phenomena that is "Jersey Shore."  The worst part is, these people are now rich.  Ignorance really is bliss.  I'd rather alternate between Jerry Springer and Maury.

5 comments:

  1. I've never watched any of these shows...and now I mind even less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you guys are looking for some good television programming, I highly recommend giving the show "Community" a try. Great acting and excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I'm with Becky. I really despise Glee. Although I actually think Sons of Anarchy is fairly decent, I rarely watch it. I've heard very good things about Community...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Community is really good, the only down fall is the show is set at a community college, 2 years is all you get. 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks and Recreation are good shows too.

    ReplyDelete