Monday, January 17, 2011

Man of the Year???

I know I'm a few weeks off, but Time Magazine named Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg their Man (excuse me, Person...so un-PC of me) of the Year for 2010.  Since this is a course that studies "new media" I thought it would be relevant to blog about it.  I find this odd that the creator of the on-line "poke" will get mentioned in the same breath as Ghandi, FDR, and MLK (we celebrate his birthday today, making this post double relevant).  Is that how highly we regard digital distractions such as Facebook?  Time goes on to say that he won because he is responsible for "connecting more than half a billion people and mapping the social relations among them, for creating a new system of exchanging information and for changing how we live our lives."  Hmmm...are online networking and relationships placed above actual human interaction?  Should we really celebrate a man that may have brought an end to people having "actual" friends?  I say no to all of these questions, yet I can't really think of anyone who really deserved it.  Maybe the workers who worked tirelessly to free the trapped Chilean miners, or the volunteers who helped in Haiti after the earthquake.  There is really no "one" person who was that special in 2010, I guess.  It looks like our fears are correct, computers are slowly taking the place of human beings, now they are winning Man (sorry)...Person of the Year awards.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this line a lot: "I find this odd that the creator of the on-line "poke" will get mentioned in the same breath as Ghandi, FDR, and MLK." Of course,Zuckerberg is a philanthropist who has given away millions up millions of dollars to improve education in America's underperforming schools. Still, he does seem like a much more flawed "hero" than ,say, Ghandi or MLK...

    ReplyDelete